Tips for Newborn Photography
Newborn photography is one of the most important things you can do for your newborn. It doesn’t matter if you are photography for a job, love to shoot, or just getting started on your photography journey. It is one of the most important things you can do for your newborn.
Photography is a lot of fun, but it can be expensive. The costs of buying and storing equipment, renting a studio space, and taking photos can add up! So don’t you wish you could take baby photos right after birth when you could get those priceless, perfect shots with the baby in her/his new environment? Well, now you can! With newborn photography, you don’t have to wait for the baby to grow-you can take a few pictures of him/her right after birth!
Suppose it is your first time doing newborn photography, no worries. Here are some of the helpful tips for newborn photography:
- Know the best time to take newborn photos. One of the most important things you can do as a newborn photographer is to know the perfect time to take these photos. There are a lot of great reasons to take newborn photos, but if you’re a first-time parent and have limited experience photographing babies, the timing can be tricky. Ideally, it would be better to take a newborn photo when the baby is between 7 to 14 days after they were born. A newborn photographer should take into consideration each new baby’s age and size, gender, and other potential characteristics, to ensure the session will be a success. When it comes to observing a new baby, a newborn photographer should pay close attention to his or her pupils, which will be enlarged and round due to the lack of experience and visual acuity.
- Take note of the things you will need for the photography session. It takes a lot of work to get ready for the big day. Whether you’re the one to walk down the aisle or have a special someone do it for you, you’ll want to get your hair and makeup perfect. Beyond that, you’ll need plenty of cute outfits and lots of props. You’ll also want to take incredibly sharp photos of your new baby.
- Communicate the details with the clients. Everyone who has ever been a parent has probably had a difficult time communicating with new parents. While this may be easier in person, it’s far easier to communicate when you are in front of the camera. To be able to have meaningful conversations with your clients and make sure they have a memorable experience, consider using the services of a newborn photography company that offers an array of packages and products that can help you with communication in addition to the services.
- Do the photography sessions at home. Now that your newborn is here and you’re ready to take that newborn photo, here are some tips to make it go smoothly. First and foremost, visit the baby at home, not at the hospital. It’s harder to capture the moment when the baby is in a strange environment, and it’s less likely to recreate the moment, making it more difficult to create a great photo. As newborn photography sessions are becoming more and more popular, having one done at home is a great option for clients who may not be able to make it to a studio or for those who have experienced a birth that was too traumatic for them to leave their home.
- Learn the proper way of wrapping a baby for the shoot. We have all had the experience of holding a newborn baby and marveling at its tiny hands and feet. They are so tiny and fragile, whether they come wrapped in a hospital blanket or swaddled in a receiving blanket. As much as we love photographing newborns, it is sometimes hard to wrap them and hold them up to a camera. To wrap a newborn properly, you’ll need to take a few simple steps, such as knowing how to wrap the arms and legs, how to wrap the head, and how to wrap the body. If you want to shoot the baby with the mother, you can also suggest they use a baby carrier since it can keep the baby comfortable during the photoshoot. The family can look for a company that evaluates the comfort of a baby before manufacturing its products to ensure the newborn can remain relaxed while being carried.
Every parent wants their newborn to be captured by a professional photographer when they are born, but sometimes it just isn’t possible. No matter what, we always encourage new parents to have family portraits done. Besides capturing the sweetest pictures of home, we will make sure the newborn baby is comfortable and well dressed in the best clothes.